Tinder is a popular dating app for Android and iOS devices that has existed since 2012. But it became especially viral during the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi. Right now, Tinder is in the top mobile app for downloads in the world. And amid the recent pandemic, interest in this dating app has only increased.
Is Tinder the best dating service, or a completely ordinary dating app?
But for all its popularity and many advantages, Tinder is far from perfect. Users note a lot of disadvantages:
- A lot of paid functions, without which it is impossible to fully use the site.
- Less than great moderation and mediocre support service.
- Waste of time looking for the perfect match, which turns the process into a routine.
- The monotony of the process of finding a potential partner and the general similarity of Tinder to other dating apps.
Fortunately, Tinder has more than enough alternatives. Let's take a look at some of them and the features they offer. First of all, we’ll consider the most popular sites, their main features, advantages and disadvantages.
Coffee Meets Bagel
- More than 400 thousand users per month.
- Predominant gender — female.
- An original search algorithm for a potential partner.
- Free messaging with other users.
- The cost of a premium account — from $15 per month.
- No manual search for a partner.
- A Facebook account is required to register.
- Search for people nearby — you’ll see profiles of users who passed near you.
- Unique system of mutual likes. A person will see your attraction only when they show it to you in return. And vice versa.
- Convenient apps for iOS and Android.
- Meeting people who are any distance from you is difficult on Happn. The app is made for quick dating with nearby users.
- An efficient system for matching user profiles and selecting the perfect match.
- Focus on a serious and long-term relationship, rather than short-term affairs like in Tinder.
- Mandatory verification of all accounts — an effective means of fighting fakes, bots and advertising profiles.
- Personalized search results. The more you use the app, the more accurately it matches you with a potential partner.
- Support of cam video chat function face-to-face.
- Authentication via a LinkedIn account, which creates certain inconveniences for some users.
- Difficulties with deleting your account, if necessary.
- An individual approach to dating — dating only on Thursdays.
- Thursday does not take up all the user's free time — it just doesn’t work 6 days a week.
- Basic functions are available for free.
- To use all the features of the site, you still have to purchase a VIP account.
- Exact search for a potential match based on common interests.
- Built-in mini-games, easy chat and other interaction formats.
- The ability to hide personal information about yourself and use an avatar instead of a photo.
- The main disadvantage is a large number of anonymous people, interaction with whom can turn into personality roulette.
- Search for single people near you or around the world.
- Safe text chat where you can chat on any topic.
- Video calling function for more convenient communication.
- The ability to host your own streams or watch someone else's.
- A cumbersome interface and minor bugs.
Cam to cam chats as an alternative to dating sites and apps
Many users unknowingly compare cam chats to regular dating sites and dating apps. This comparison is not entirely fair. This is a completely different format that has little in common with classic dating platforms.
Webcam chats are focused on random acquaintances. There are no complicated settings, no need to fill in dozens of fields in the profile, upload photos, and so on. To use many live cam chats, you don't even need to register, so dating in web chats is faster, more convenient, safer and often even more efficient. Because instead of messaging, you communicate via video link, so you get to know your chat partner better and understand what kind of person they are.
The principles of webcam chat are as follows:
- You can search for completely random users or set basic search parameters: country, gender, interests, etc. (depending on the selected site).
- Most random cam chats are either completely free or partially paid. Many give free trial access to all premium features.
- If you or your chat partner cut off the connection, there’s practically no chance of meeting on cam chat again. But there are some sites that offer to return to the previous person for an additional fee.
- Often in webcam chats you can communicate not only via video communication, but also in text chat. But most users still prefer to see the other person on the screen in front of them.
There are as many cam chat sites and applications as classic dating services. Perhaps even more. The main thing is to find the sites that are right for you. For example, Omegle cam to cam chat was the first chat roulette in history with a large and active audience. Although the site's functionality is limited and there are no mobile apps, Omegle is still a popular platform. Another of the pioneers is Bazoocam. Although the site looks outdated, it retains a large audience, partially thanks to an 18+ streaming feature.
An interesting alternative to the previous platforms is webcam chat CooMeet. The service connects men only with girls, which is very convenient for fruitful dating. Plus there’s excellent moderation and good support — a rarity for live cam chats. Another interesting option is Emeraldchat. Its main feature is the karma rating of each user. If you have bad karma, then the site will not connect you to users who have high karma. And vice versa, having accumulated good karma, you won’t have to worry that bad users with zero karma will connect to you.
The last web cam chat we want to mention is Shagle. This is a classic video chat with a gender filter, AR masks, a country search filter and the handy function of automatically translating messages into the selected language. The only disadvantage is that Shagle has no official mobile apps.
The more sites you use, the better chance of a match
As you can see, there are more than enough online dating formats today. On the web, you can search for chat partners by interest, find those who are nearby right now, or very finely customize your search in order to look for the perfect match almost anywhere in the world.
The main thing is not to be limited to one site. If for example you’ve used only Tinder for several years and have not achieved any results at all, this service has no more use for you. It's time to try something new and expand your horizons. Today that’s easier than ever!