VR, AR, MR – all these acronyms are related to the interaction between real and digital reality. Each of these technologies can be used for business development, education, production, and other areas. Virtual, augmented, and mixed reality technologies provide unique opportunities. Which one to choose and how to use it? Read the article to find out.
What Is Virtual Reality and Its Features
VR is an artificial digital environment. In it, users see, hear, and move as if they are inside other realities. Over the years, VR is becoming less and less distinguishable from the real one. The main application of VR products is in the entertainment industry like gambling. If you are a beginner, you can try to play free casino games that might be available in VR. Over the years, developments have become more detailed and better. This allows them to be used in other, more serious areas:
- Some are mastering whiteboards and online presentations, while more advanced schools are looking for ways to immerse students in virtual reality so they can experience life-like experiences and understand the material better. This can be useful, for example, in teaching driving or surgery.
- Special cameras and sensors allow you to accurately track everything that happens in the body and take the necessary actions to cure the patient. The surgeon puts on glasses and holds special joysticks in his hands for remote control of mechanical devices. The operation is performed by a robot, and the doctor controls its actions.
- By creating designs for future buildings in VR, specialists can show customers the final result even before construction begins. Details will vary, but the ability to walk around your future apartment will prevent all possible mistakes and the client will get what is necessary.
What Is Augmented Reality and Where Is It Used?
AR is a technology that allows you to add digital content to the real world: to see how a watch on your wrist, sneakers on your feet, or a bed in a room would look. These objects can be in image or video format. Areas of application of AR technology:
- AR technologies are an excellent advertising tool that allows you to unobtrusively sell a product to a client. An example of such use of AR is online fitting rooms that minimize the chance of making mistakes when buying clothes or shoes.
- One of the important aspects of production is the human factor. The less it affects the well-coordinated mechanism for creating goods, the better they are. Special goggles can help the mechanic assemble the device: clear instructions and visual cues appear on the screen. This improves work efficiency and reduces errors.
- AR technologies allow you to navigate in large stores, showing directions to fitting rooms and cash desks. However, developments are not limited to this: AR helps to navigate museums, medical clinics, educational institutions, and the streets of the city.
What Is Mixed Reality?
MR is tied to the position of objects in the real world. We can say that it connects VR and AR. In the case of MR, users remain where they are, but MR objects become more real and you can interact with them. This is due to special sensors that track the position of objects in the real world and transfer them to the virtual one. Spheres of application of MR technology:
- In the era of remote communications, it is important to keep in touch with people. Sometimes messengers and even video calls are not enough for this.
- By immersing in MR, students can come into contact with the objects of study. The important difference is that you can touch them, hold them in your hands, and take a good look at them. Thanks to this, students learn the topic better and are inspired by the material, which motivates them to study further.
- Holographic instructions help to avoid mistakes and reduce the influence of human factors. In addition to production, MR can be useful, for example, in repair. A person does not just perform tasks but accurately follows visual instructions.
MR, VR, and AR technologies are already starting to take over the world, but there is still a lot of unknown about them. You can be the one to use them in new ways and create a useful, profitable, or just cool product.